Civil Union/Partnership Marriage in Western Cape

Do you want to register a Civil Union/Partnership Marriage in Western Cape? Contact your nearest Home Affairs office which has appointed Marriage officers who can solemnise civil unions/partnerships. The DHA office can inform you on the procedure.

Home Affairs office in Western Cape

Bellville Medium Office
177-181 Voortrekker Road
7530 Bellville
Telephone: 021 944 6200 | 021 944 6240

Caledon Medium Office
Jo-el Building, 22 Prince Alfred Road
7230 Caledon
Telephone: 028 214 3700/5

Cape Town Large Office
Fair Cape Building, 56 Barack Street
8001 Cape Town
Telephone: 021 468 4500 | 4512 | 4515 | 4535 | 4574 | 4595 | 4599 | 4578

Khayelitsha Large Office
Cnr. Tsolo & Mzala Street
7793 Khayelitsha
Telephone: 021 360 1800 | 021 360 0261

Mitchellsplain Small Office
Alpha Street, Beacon Valley
7785 Mitchellsplain
Telephone: 021 370 3102 | 021 370 3103 | 021 370 3109

Civil Union Wedding in Western Cape

A civil partnership/union marriage in terms of the Civil Unions Act provides recognition in law for Man/Man & Woman/Woman (same gender) couples and is by law an arrangement alike a marriage between Man/Woman (hetero) couples.

A civil partnership/union is also known as a same gender marriage.

However, in South Africa a civil union/partnership can also be formed by Man/Woman (hetero) couples.

Legal consequences & Civil Union Attorneys

Civil partnerships have the same legal consequences, responsibilities and rights as a marriage under
the Marriage Act. Find Legal Experts here: Civil Union/Marriage Attorneys

Marriage officers

Marriage officers who are appointed by Home Affairs and Magistrates are able to solemnise civil partnerships.


Wedding Ceremony

- At the ceremony there must be at least 2 competent witnesses present.
- The persons who want to register and enter into a civil union must be 18 years or older and may not be already married.

More information

Contact the DHA Home Affairs office in directly or visit website:

Register and initiate a Civil Union/Partnership Marriage in Bellville, Caledon, Cape Town, Khayelitsha, Mitchellsplain, Nyanga, Oudtshoorn, Oudtshoorn, Paarl and Wynberg in Western Cape.

Other Services

Please note that this website is not the official website of the South African Department of Home Affairs. The only purpose of this website is to provide quick information on DHA locations in South Africa.