Civil Union/Partnership Marriage in Northern Cape

Do you want to register a Civil Union/Partnership Marriage in Northern Cape? Contact your nearest Home Affairs office which has appointed Marriage officers who can solemnise civil unions/partnerships. The DHA office can inform you on the procedure.

Home Affairs office in Northern Cape

Carnarvon Small Office
9 Alheit Street,
8925 Carnarvon
Telephone: 053 382 3709

Colesburg Local Office Small
1 Corner of Chamberlain & Church Street, Thusong Service Centre
Telephone: 051 753 0215

Namakwa District - District Manager Operations
47 Voortrekker Street
7000 De Aar
Telephone: 053 631 0977 /8

Douglas Small Office
481 Southey Street
8730 Douglas
Telephone: 053 298 2690

Kimberley Large Office
7-9 New Main Street
Telephone: 053 839 5400 / 01 / 02

Civil Union Wedding in Northern Cape

A civil partnership/union marriage in terms of the Civil Unions Act provides recognition in law for Man/Man & Woman/Woman (same gender) couples and is by law an arrangement alike a marriage between Man/Woman (hetero) couples.

A civil partnership/union is also known as a same gender marriage.

However, in South Africa a civil union/partnership can also be formed by Man/Woman (hetero) couples.

Legal consequences & Civil Union Attorneys

Civil partnerships have the same legal consequences, responsibilities and rights as a marriage under
the Marriage Act. Find Legal Experts here: Civil Union/Marriage Attorneys

Marriage officers

Marriage officers who are appointed by Home Affairs and Magistrates are able to solemnise civil partnerships.


Wedding Ceremony

- At the ceremony there must be at least 2 competent witnesses present.
- The persons who want to register and enter into a civil union must be 18 years or older and may not be already married.

More information

Contact the DHA Home Affairs office in directly or visit website:

Register and initiate a Civil Union/Partnership Marriage in Carnarvon, Colesburg, De Aar, Douglas, Kimberley, Postmasburg, Prieska, Springbok and Upington in Northern Cape.

Other Services

Please note that this website is not the official website of the South African Department of Home Affairs. The only purpose of this website is to provide quick information on DHA locations in South Africa.