Civil Union/Partnership Marriage in Eastern Cape

Do you want to register a Civil Union/Partnership Marriage in Eastern Cape? Contact your nearest Home Affairs office which has appointed Marriage officers who can solemnise civil unions/partnerships. The DHA office can inform you on the procedure.

Home Affairs office in Eastern Cape

Aliwal North Medium Office
18 Hunt Street
Aliwal North
Telephone: 051 633 2821

Cleary Park Medium Office
Shop No. L72, Cleary Park Mall, Cleary Estate
6059 Cleary Park, Port Elizabeth
Telephone: 041 481 0010

Cradock Local Office Small
Old Sanlam Building, 10 Adderley Road
5880 Cradock
Telephone: 048 888 1431

Libode Medium Office
58 Stanford Street
5160 Libode
Telephone: 047 555 0108 /0141

Mqanduli Medium Office
Main Street
5080 Mqanduli
Telephone: 047 573 0114

Civil Union Wedding in Eastern Cape

A civil partnership/union marriage in terms of the Civil Unions Act provides recognition in law for Man/Man & Woman/Woman (same gender) couples and is by law an arrangement alike a marriage between Man/Woman (hetero) couples.

A civil partnership/union is also known as a same gender marriage.

However, in South Africa a civil union/partnership can also be formed by Man/Woman (hetero) couples.

Legal consequences & Civil Union Attorneys

Civil partnerships have the same legal consequences, responsibilities and rights as a marriage under
the Marriage Act. Find Legal Experts here: Civil Union/Marriage Attorneys

Marriage officers

Marriage officers who are appointed by Home Affairs and Magistrates are able to solemnise civil partnerships.


Wedding Ceremony

- At the ceremony there must be at least 2 competent witnesses present.
- The persons who want to register and enter into a civil union must be 18 years or older and may not be already married.

More information

Contact the DHA Home Affairs office in directly or visit website:

Register and initiate a Civil Union/Partnership Marriage in Aliwal North, Cleary Park, Port Elizabeth, Cradock, Libode, Mqanduli, Mthatha, Port Elizabeth, Sterkspruit, Tsolo and Uitenhage in Eastern Cape.

Other Services

Please note that this website is not the official website of the South African Department of Home Affairs. The only purpose of this website is to provide quick information on DHA locations in South Africa.